About us - what we do
The Sir Simon Milton Foundation is a charitable incorporated organisation (CIO) registered with the Charity Commission of England and Wales. Our Registered Charity Number is 1174405.Our Objects. The Foundation’s Objects are focused on getting young people in Westminster into work through education and training and reducing loneliness and isolation amongst older people in the City. The detail can be found in our Constitution.
Our achievements. Last year, we:
- Co-ordinated over 600 events nationally in support of Silver Sunday to celebrate older people and reduce their social exclusion. Over 90% of those attending were trying new things and meeting new people.
- Held a Tea Dance for over 1,000 older people, enjoyed also by Police Cadets who helped us to host the event, thus contributing to inter-generational activities.
- Distributed over 300 Christmas hampers to the most isolated, disadvantaged and impoverished people in the City; this year also awarded hampers to 15 carers.
- Awarded 17 Scholarships and Bursaries to students in their first year at university, helping them to afford to live and eat so that they can study.
- Supported intellectually and financially the development of the Sir Simon Milton Westminster University Technical College through the planning process, the funding agreement with the Department for Education and selection and appointment of the Principal (Designate) four terms early and the Head of Marketing. The project remains on track to open in September 2017. Recruiting for pupils started in September 2016.
- Held the inaugural Sir Simon Milton Lecture delivered by Boris Johnson, former Mayor of London, engaging with civic leaders across the City.
- Raised more funds than ever before, just over £1m, enabling us to fund the growing programmes in support of young and older people in the City. The highlight was the inaugural Gala Dinner, hosted by the then Lord Mayor of Westminster, The Lady Flight, one of our Trustees which raised over £200,000.
What we are going to do next
Our Vision is to continue Simon Milton’s vision of a society in which communities care, the young aspire and older people thrive.
Our Mission is to provide opportunities in education and training for the young and for older people to feel valued for their contribution to their communities.
Our Values we seek to live by are: Ambitious, Innovative, Passionate, Collaborative, Effective and Efficient.
Our Strategic Goals are to:
- Promote programmes to enable young people to improve their lives.
- Make older people feel valued by reducing isolation and loneliness.
- Develop a well-resourced and governed Foundation.
- Create a reputation for improving people’s lives.